Welcome to Nyeusigrube

"We're the only country on earth stitched together by words and, most important, their dangerous progeny, ideas. And those ideas have had weight. They have had force, not just for us in our eternal dealings, but for the rest of the world." ~ Ken Burns

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Inbox and the Servers (again)

So, here's the skinny about Inbox and updates (cross-posted from subscriber emails):

The January/February hiatus was on me, completely, because I needed to get a book in. The continued delay is, once again, on my server. As you know, I've had problems with them for the last several months. I am seriously considering changing servers, but the thought grips me with terror because I remember what a nightmare that was last time.

In short: Changing over the site itself is irritating and time-consuming, but trying to move the message board database is a lot like trying to move a live grenade. If we change servers, the board will not move with us. We will start fresh. Some people think this is a good thing, but it makes me scared to think about it.

I know it's starting to sound like an excuse - "oh, yeah, the servers are screwed up again" - and I should have moved a long time ago if I'm having this many problems, but I cannot do so until I have a substantial amount of time to rip down the site, rebuild it, figure out how to transfer a domain name, and assess what to do with the message board. That means summer vacation: early summer, if I'm not behind on the book due in August, or late summer if I am.

So, there's what's going on in the world of Atwater-Rhodes. Thank you everyone for your patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment