Welcome to Nyeusigrube

"We're the only country on earth stitched together by words and, most important, their dangerous progeny, ideas. And those ideas have had weight. They have had force, not just for us in our eternal dealings, but for the rest of the world." ~ Ken Burns

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Day 29: The Push to 50k

This post goes out to Ian. I hope those issues you mentioned resolve themselves and everyone is all right. As much as I would love to be able to say "Just focus on NaNo this month. Everything else can be put off," we all know there are things that need to come first. Sometimes it's hard to prioritize (edit that paper better, or work on NaNo? Go out for dinner with a friend, or work on NaNo?) but if you're blessed with a family and friends you love and who love you, and those people need help and support... then there isn't really much of a choice.

Just remember, when things settle down: NaNo may end on December 1, but that doesn't mean the writing needs to.

Or, hey, if the world has already calmed down a little... there's almost 48 hours left! You could still be in the game!

Quotes of the Day:

"There is no royal path to good writing; and such paths as do exist do not lead through neat critical gardens, various as they are, but through the jungles of self, the world, and of craft."

~Jessamyn West, Saturday Review, 21 September 1957

John Wilmot penned his poetry
Riddled with the pox
Nabokov wrote on index cards,
At a lectern, in his socks
St. John of the Cross did his best stuff
Imprisoned in a box
And Johnny Thunders was half alive
When he wrote Chinese Rocks
- Lyrics from “There She Goes, My Beautiful World,” Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds


Tip of the Day:

I already gave you a tip, above! What' you want more?

It's almost 6am EST, which means we're down to... what? 42 hours?
My tip of the day is, MAKE THE PUSH. Wherever you are. Don't give up. And stop wasting time playing Facebook games and reading blog posts (like this one) because you feel so behind. Go write!

I'm currently at 41,423 words. This means I need to average 4289 words today and tomorrow to win. I'll leave for work at 7:30 today and won't be home until 4. Similar hours tomorrow. And unlike many lucky people I've heard from, I don't have a chance to write at work.

On the plus side, I unexpectedly have Thursday off work, so I can stay up late on Wednesday... if I have the energy to do that, which tends to be questionable, given the hours I get up.

But I'll do it. Because, why not?

2 comments:

  1. Good luck!

    Did Tony ever decide to steal that $20?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amelia.
    I have two questions. First: what is NaNo exactly? I haven't checked your blog for a long while and found myself looking at it now.
    And one more question: How do you get the time to write on your novels when you work? I mean, how do you manage to work, have a social life and write?
    I am writing on a novel myself, which I want to have published when it's done. But seriously, I don
    t know when to get the time. I write as often as I can. But sometimes weeks or even months pass without having anything done. So help me, what is the magic trick!

    /Leonora

    ReplyDelete