Welcome to Nyeusigrube

"We're the only country on earth stitched together by words and, most important, their dangerous progeny, ideas. And those ideas have had weight. They have had force, not just for us in our eternal dealings, but for the rest of the world." ~ Ken Burns

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Site/message board outage

Those of you who frequent the Den of Shadows message board may have noticed that the board has been suspended for the last week.  If you were around before then, you probably know why- for those who missed it, the board was being bombarded with so much spam I couldn't keep up with it.

The good news is that this problem has inspired me to give both the message board and website a full facelift for the first in a very long time.  My goal is for the new site to be easier to manage and update, and for the new board to be accessible and welcoming to newcomers.  The old board will (probably) still be available as a reference, but it will remain locked.

I say "probably" because, in order to do this, I need to update my server.  The kind tech fellows at IXWebhosting will supposedly transfer all content to the shiny and new control panel, but since they warned me to back everything up before I told them to start the migration, they clearly have some concerns.  I've backed everything up because I was told to, but if the board really goes down, I probably won't be able to restore it - the code is old and out of date and restoring such a huge database is a nightmare.

The official site relaunch is planned for October 31, in time for anyone who wants to join our writing community for NaNoWriMo2015 to create an account and jump on board.  I hope to see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment