Welcome to Nyeusigrube

"We're the only country on earth stitched together by words and, most important, their dangerous progeny, ideas. And those ideas have had weight. They have had force, not just for us in our eternal dealings, but for the rest of the world." ~ Ken Burns

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Day 22

"An old racetrack joke reminds you that your program contains all the winners' names. I stare at my typewriter keys with the same thought."

- Mignon McLaughlin




Prompt of the Day: Use a mixed-up cliche, or use a cliche in a weird way.



Author's Ramble...

Sorry that some days have been missing prompts. I didn't have time to quite finish everything before November, and I haven't kept up as well as I would like. I've done NaNo since 2006, but this year is the hardest it's ever been.

In 2006, I was in Texas for a semester as part of National Student Exchange; that year was (relatively) easy. I ended up with Part 1 / Book 1 of Mancer, and the real beginning of the Castrili world.

In 2007, I was a senior undergrad, taking two capstone classes (English and psychology), involved in an increasingly serious relationship, and not only became the primary cook for Thanksgiving, but had to figure out how to kasher my entire kitchen because my girlfriend kept kosher. Token of Darkness (to be released Feb. 9, 2010) came out of that year.

In 2008, I was in full-time graduate school, and working full-time as a teacher, helping write lesson plans and grade exams, still the full-time cook. This year's finished piece was All Just Glass.

Welcome to 2009. This is the hardest NaNo I've ever done.

On the plus side, the wedding planning is going well - we have an appointment with the caterer this evening to taste some food samples - though I'm nervous that we won't get the house we bid on yesterday. At least there were no hospital trips this week. But c'mon, it's not like I'm in full-time school this year, right? What could possibly be making this year so hard...

Okay. I have an hour now, at Panache, before I have to pick my parents up to see the house (yipes!). I can get in 1k or so, right?

Sometimes when I think of my wordcount and how far it still feels like I am from 50k, I want to start giggling hysterically - but I'm not giving up. I can plan a wedding, buy a house, visit emergency rooms, hopefully get a job, and host Thanksgiving while writing another 20k.

I'm not giving up, so don't you give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment